Too Much. Too Early. Too Often.
Based on results from the California Healthy Kids Survey:
- Binge drinking (more than 5 drinks) nearly triples from 13% for Freshman students to 32% for Juniors (Drake High School).
- 72% of Juniors perceive slight to no harm in using alcohol occasionally.
- 54% of Drake students report having used alcohol in the past 30 days compared to 33% for the State of California average.
Marin County ranks as one of the healthiest counties in California with the glaring exception of binge drinking across all age groups.
This community-wide problem requires a community-wide solution. We have the opportunity to reverse this trend. We can:
- Read A Parent’s Guide to Underage Drinking.
- Understand The Unique Risks of Teen Substance Use.
- Talk to your child about the harms related to underage drinking. (SAMHSA)
- Change community norms regarding the prevalence of alcohol consumption at child-centered activities. If it’s about the kid, don’t make it about the drink.
- Follow the suggested Parenting Tips.
- Join Drake High School’s Be The Influence Campaign.
- Adhere to the community Social Host Ordinance.